Bodie Island Lighthouse

Outer Banks, North Carolina

The first lighthouse to serve the area between Cape Hatteras and Currituck Beach survived only eleven years. Only 54-feet tall, the brick foundation developed cracks, causing the structure to lean. The structure was demolished sometime around 1848.

The next lighthouse was an 80-foot high structure designed by the Army Corps of Engineers. It was completed in 1859. Only two years later, Confederate troops blew it up.

In 1872, the existing lighthouse was completed. Rising 165 feet, its construction is similar to that of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. It is distinguished by black, horizontal rings. The 160,000 candle-power light was electrified in 1932. A visitor's center is located in the restored keeper's duplex.

Directions: From Nags Head, on the Outer Banks, take Highway 12 about 6 miles to the entrance road on the right.


Learn more about Bodie Island Lighthouse by clicking on the link below.

Google Maps JavaScript API Example

Free Shopping, Free Downloads, Free Fun!

Visit the Barrier Island Mall!

Barrier Island Art also offers great shopping for almost everything! Stroll through the many stores in the mall, offering safe and secure shopping! Find coupons, discounts, and items offered only on line by many merchants!

Visit the Free and Fun page and download free wallpaper and screensavers. All downloads are spyware free and contain no popups or hidden advertising!


American Lighthouse Foundation
Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association

Music is "Leisure Pace," Original by Jalal Ali, used with permission. Visit his site by clicking on the link below.