Monhegan Island Lighthouse
Monhegan Island, Maine
The first lighthouse at Monhegan Island, about 10 miles off the coast of Maine, was authorized in 1824 by President James Madison. It consisted of a granite tower and wooden keeper's house, and was replaced in 1850. The tower is 48 feet high, but its location at the highest point on Monhegan makes the focal point 178 feet above sea level.
A new, two-story keeper's residence was completed in 1874. The 1857 keeper's house was razed in 1922.
The Coast Guard took over staffing of the light in 1956. In 1959 the light was automated, and the Coast Guard keepers at the Manana Island Fog Signal Station were also tasked with monitoring the Monhegan Island Light.
The grounds and buildings, excluding the lighthouse, were sold to the Monhegan Associates in 1962. A museum was opened in the 1874 keeper's house in 1968.
The property was transferred to the Monhegan Historical and Cultural Museum Association in 1985. In 1997, ownership of the lighthouse was also transferred to the association.
The association rebuilt the 1857 keeper's house as a museum for their art collection. The light was converted to solar power in 1995, and is still an active aid to navigation.
Directions: Ferries run from Port Clyde, New Harbor, and Boothbay Harbor.
Learn more about Monhegan Island Lighthouse by clicking on the link below.
Barrier Island Art also offers great shopping for almost everything! Stroll through the many stores in the mall, offering safe and secure shopping! Find coupons, discounts, and items offered only on line by many merchants!
Visit the Free and Fun page and download free wallpaper and screensavers. All downloads are spyware free and contain no popups or hidden advertising!
Music is "A Morn in a Virgin Nature," Original by Jalal Ali, used with permission. Visit his site by clicking on the link below.