Portland Head Light
Fort Williams State Park
One of the most photgraphed lighthouses in the nation, Portland Head Light rises 80 feet from the ground, but is 101 feet above the water. It is constructed of rubblestone.
Originally commissioned by George Washington in 1787, it was completed in 1790 and first lighted in January of 1791. The second-order Fresnel lens was replaced with electric airway beacons in 1958, and is visible for 16 miles.
The attached keeper's quarters now houses a visitor's museum, where the original lens is on display.
It is believed that Portland Head Light provided the inspiration for Portland native Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem, "The Lighthouse."
Directions: From Interstate 295, take Highway 77 south to Broadway. Go east for 0.2 miles and make a right onto Cottage Road, which becomes Shore Road. The lighthouse is located in Fort Williams State Park.
Learn more about Portland Head Light by clicking on the link below.
Barrier Island Art also offers great shopping for almost everything! Stroll through the many stores in the mall, offering safe and secure shopping! Find coupons, discounts, and items offered only on line by many merchants!
Visit the Free and Fun page and download free wallpaper and screensavers. All downloads are spyware free and contain no popups or hidden advertising!
Music is "Serenade," Original by Jalal Ali, used with permission. Visit his site by clicking on the link below.