St. Simons Lighthouse
St. Simons Island, Georgia
Guarding the entrance to St. Simons Sound, this 104-foot tower is the second to occupy this site. The first was a 75-foot high structure completed in 1810. In 1862, Confederate troops blew up the tower before abandoning the island.
The new lighthouse and keeper's dwelling were completed in 1872. Both were designed by architect George B. Cluskey, who died of yellow fever in 1871, before construction was completed.
Originally powered by whale oil, and later, kerosene, the light was converted to electric power in 1934, and was automated in 1950.
The keeper's dwelling opened as a museum and visitor's center in the mid 1970's, and in 1984, the tower itself was opened to visitors. To enjoy the view from the top requires climbing the 129-step spiral staircase.
Directions: From Highway 17 in Brunswick, follow the Torras Causeway to St. Simons Island. Cross the bridge over the Frederica River and make a right onto King's Way. Go through Sea Island Causeway (blinking light), and through the next traffic light at Frederica Road. Make a right onto Mallory Street at the next traffic signal. Go one block and turn left onto Beachview. At 12th street (about 1/4 mile) turn right and drive to the end of the street.
Learn more about St. Simons Lighthouse by clicking on the link below:
Barrier Island Art also offers great shopping for almost everything! Stroll through the many stores in the mall, offering safe and secure shopping! Find coupons, discounts, and items offered only on line by many merchants!
Visit the Free and Fun page and download free wallpaper and screensavers. All downloads are spyware free and contain no popups or hidden advertising!
Music is "Nocturne," Original by Jalal Ali, used with permission. Visit his site by clicking on the link below.